Sunday, December 5, 2010

A Snow Capped City - Teresa Pond Personal Blog #1

“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” – John Ruskin.

According to John Ruskin, 19th century English writer and critic of architecture, art, and society, “there is really no such thing as bad weather.” And while I am sure many people beg to differ, it is intriguing to analyze just how much the daily weather plays a part in our society and in our day-to-day lives. When it is hot outside, we crank up our air conditioners in our homes and roll the windows in our cars down while driving fast to feel the breeze. When it is raining outside, the roads become wet and shiny and the smell of the fresh earth engulfs us. But, when it snows, especially when it snows as much as it has been lately, a whole different situation occurs. We turn up our heaters, bundle up in our warmest winter coats, and drive with exceptional caution on the dangerous, slippery roads. We turn on our fireplaces, curl up with hot chocolate and a good book, and do our best to stay inside – much different from the summer months. What I have noticed lately, though, is how much my perception of buildings and architecture changes when these large snow storms occur.

As I was driving to my home in Centerville last week from the dorms in Fort Douglas, I couldn’t help but notice how different all the buildings I passed looked with a foot of snow a top of them, as well as snow surrounding them. It is not as though I have never seen these buildings with snow on them before, but since we have been studying architecture in City as Text, I have begun to analyze their details. I was looking at the large buildings on 200 South that I passed, and I couldn’t help but notice how differently the buildings looked today compared to how they looked just a few months ago. Many sharp corners appeared smooth, and the light snow softened the deep colors of towers and buildings such as the Wells Fargo building. I also noticed that many buildings looked less intense - not less intense as in less bold or less important, but the snow added a softer feeling to each of the buildings. For me, snow provides a calming effect, not necessarily when I am driving, but when I look out on the freshly fallen snow, the peace and quiet makes everything less intensified – including the towers on 200 South.

Another area where I noticed a tremendous change when the snow fell was the dorms. When the weather was warm there were always students walking around outside, talking and laughing with their friends, enjoying the wonderful weather. However, when the snow fell, it was almost as though the dorms shut down. I walked outside early this morning as the snow was falling and a mysterious quiet filled the air. The only sign of people were the boot tracks in the perfect white snow and everywhere I looked I saw white. It was a truly magnificent sight and extremely peaceful.

No matter where we live or where we go, weather will always play a factor in the way we live and how we view our surroundings. In Utah, we are blessed with “the greatest snow on earth” and this morning, it was very apparent to me just how much this snow affects how I view the city and the Fort Douglas community in which I live.

1 comment:

  1. What an interesting perspective to take on the city. I have found I am so much more reluctant to leave my house to walk around, go out to dinner or even a movie when its foul weather outside. Sunday night we bundled up and walked down to Main Street with my grand daughters who thought nothing of the weather (it was hard to get them to keep their coats on) but who were filled with wonder at the lights, the crowds of people and the window displays. We miss so much by tempering our experience of the city by the weather. The city changes with the climate--differ hues and shadows, air quality (which isn't only bad) that alters the way we see or experience space and form. You've given me a lot to think about!

    ReplyDelete