Monday, December 6, 2010

Personal Blog #2

By Liz Arave

Growing up in family full of avid hikers, it’s surprising that I haven’t hiked around Salt Lake more often. My only SLC hiking experience was Ensign Peak. When I moved to the University, I didn’t have many ideas of where to hike, so my brother showed me a unique hike right behind the University. This hike is called the Living Room. It was given this name because there are rock chairs, foot rests and tables at the end of the hike. People have arranged huge slabs of rock into living room furniture there. My brother kept raving about how comfortable the rocks were, but I was skeptical. After sitting on one of the rock chairs, I was amazed about how comfortable it really was! Even after sitting for more than just a few minutes, it was still enjoyable to sit on. Plus, there is a beautiful view of the entire Salt Lake Valley and the University to look at. I recommend going in the evening and staying for the sunset. It is remarkable. The hike itself is also very beautiful and easy. It is about a 3-mile roundtrip hike and takes less than two hours, depending on how long you enjoy the view. Just about anyone can make it to the Living Room. On my hike, I saw young children, dogs, and joggers. The Living Room trail is located near Red Butte Gardens, right off of the Bonneville Shoreline Trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment