Friday, December 3, 2010

Music and Me- The Salt Lake City Chapter

Coming from a small town, with little to no music scene, its easy to say that I quickly got swept up into the vivacious and diverse tide that is the performance at Salt Lake City's various concert venues.
I have attended an assortment of musical concert genres while living in Salt Lake City includin
g a hip-hop show, electronica rock, metal, electronic and indie rock shows. Each show presented an entirely different population in attendance, and because of this each experience was surprisingly unique. I was impressed, to say the least, that at nearly every performance a local band from Provo, West Jordan or Ogden. It's easy to fall into the stereotypical outsider who believes the greatest contribution to the mu
sic scene that Salt Lake City had to offer was the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, and I'll admit guilty to it. However, from Imagine Dragons to Junior Giant each band from Utah Valley had a unique sound that forever shattered the barriers that had previously only allowed me to associate this city with a segregated choir dressed half in black, and half in red. Contrary to what I had thought previously to my moving to Utah, I actually find myself bragging to my Jackson friends, almost weekly, about my expanding musical concert experiences.
I was also surprised to discover that band such as Neon Trees established themselves in Provo. It is also clear to see the importance Salt Lake puts on its eclectic collection of musical performances through the Twilight Series that the Downtown Alliance puts on each summer since 2006, which offers free shows to the public at Pioneer Park. I was able to start my college experience off with the final show of the 2010 series, She & Him, so I hold this annual event as the commencement of a series of musical adventure I have embarked on and hope to continue to make part of my life here in Salt Lake City.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great sort of promotional piece for the diversity of music venues and opportunities in the city. What did you find in terms of clubs that were open to minors or what were the restrictions you confronted in terms of accessibility?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was definitely several shows I desperately wanted to see that were 21 and up, at such venues such as the Urban Lounge and The Depot. I was especially excited when a couple of the bands I hoped to see played both an all ages show, at Kilby Court, and a 21+ show at Urban Lounge. Smithtix is also a really amazing resource, not only for music lovers but also those looking for sport events, plays, shows etc. I really appreciate all the effort SLC puts in to promote various types of shows to the public.

    ReplyDelete