Monday, December 6, 2010

Michael May Personal Blog 1: Library

For my first personal walkabout, I went to the library. A group already talked about the library, but I wanted to view it myself and see how it compared with my expectations.

The Library itself was very sleek, almost futuristic in its look. The elevators were completely see through, and had no "shaft" in which they're usually kept, so you could see everything about the elevators from the outside, which I thought looked really neat. The entire place seemed like it was designed to impress, which is why I found the types of chairs they were using odd. They were using leather green chairs that had some holes in them, which completely clashed with the look the Library was trying to go with.

The kinds of people there varied, but most of them seemed to be going by themselves. I saw a few families there, but there weren't many. The people there weren't dressed super nice (mostly in coats because it was pretty cold outside) but I didn't see anyone who was dressed badly.

One of the most interesting things I saw there were a series of what would best be described as murals by the ACLU. They advocated for a lot of different things. About half were things that almost nobody could argue with: Right to vote, Equality for women, No oppression, No Racism, ect. But the other half were about hot button issues that many people (myself included for a few) have opposing viewpoints to: Reproductive rights (abortion), Equality for ALL citizens (against raiding companies suspected of hiring Illegal Immigrants), LGBT rights, and so on. The ACLU probably funded the Library in a major way, but I don't think it was quite appropriate to put up what was effectively an ad campaign for the ACLU in the Library, especially when including hot button issues.

All in all, it was a really cool place to visit, and had plenty of entertaining things to do besides simply checking out a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment