Sunday, December 5, 2010

Lauren Walker Personal Blog 2

Personal Blog 2: The Utah Symphony
by: Lauren Walker

The Utah Symphony is an experience like no other! For someone who is used to the recital halls around the University of Utah, Abravanel Hall went way beyond my expectations. The hall had an understated elegance with the gold walls and beautiful chandeliers. Having never been to a big symphony hall, I was really excited to be a part in the group of students that went to see the Cello Concerto.

Before leaving for Abravanel Hall, we were treated with dinner at the Crimson View Restaurant which was surprisingly good. A group of friends and I took a little detour to Temple Square to see the lights before we walked over to the hall with about half an hour before the symphony started. We took the time to look around the hall, stopping at the decorative (and expensive) violins on display and listening to the pianist play in the lobby. The musical performance was extremely beautiful and it was an overall magical experience.

On reflection, I realize that without the Honors College and City As Text I would probably never have taken the initiative to learn about Salt Lake City or even go to see the Utah Symphony. This is sad because I have learned that there are many wonderful and fun things to do in Utah if you just get out there and start looking. This class has made it easier for me and my friends to make the time to start to discover the jewels of Utah that we never would have searched for if not for this class. I really enjoyed the task of getting to know my state and the city that I live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment