Sunday, November 28, 2010

Sarah Ward Personal Blog 1

I have never really liked the city of Ogden. Sure, I’ve lived there for eighteen years, but I never thought of it as a particularly lovely place. “I can’t wait to get out of here,” I said probably thousands of times during my years in middle school and high school. Ogden was always just sort of…bland. It wasn't a small town but it wasn't a big city. It was too big to walk to school but too small for it to be considered metropolitan. I always thought of it as a confusing mess.

After a few months of being in City as Text and learning to read Salt Lake City, I've opened my eyes and realized that Ogden is also legible.

There are definite paths. Harrison Boulevard is the main one, but there's also Washington Boulevard and Wall Avenue. These are the main arteries of Ogden.

There are no edges to Ogden. There is no coherent beginning and ending to it. This has always bothered me. It sprawls into North Ogden and South Ogden which merge into other cities or into the mountains.

Yet despite its sprawling, disconnected nature, Ogden has definite districts. For example, historic 25th Street with its shops, restaurants, and farmer's market during the summer.

ogdenStreet.jpg

The Frontrunner Station could be considered a node. It's a junction of several roads and an area of high traffic. The bus station is located there as well.

There are many landmarks in Ogden. Ogden High School, built during the Great Depression and my alma mater, is easily recognizable.

2718247.jpg


Once I started noticing all this, I began to appreciate my home town. There are trees everywhere. The mountains are beautiful and there are great hiking trails close to my house. Snowbasin Ski Resort is only twenty minutes away. There are two great libraries and the beautiful Peery's Egyptian Theater. Turns out Ogden isn't so bad after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment