Monday, November 29, 2010

Personal Blog 1: Broadway St.


Being from the small town of Roy I’m not used to a “big” city. In Roy we have one main street that almost everything is on and you can get to everything from there; Salt Lake City is the complete opposite. It has taken me three months to finally understand how to get here and there, but I still use my trusty Google Map app on my phone. However, one day I stumbled across 3rd South/Broadway and my whole attitude toward Salt Lake driving turned around.

Broadway has everything from little houses, antiqued apartments, modern skyscraping businesses, restaurants/cafes of all types, and at one point it runs into Pioneer Park. The streets are wide with parking on the side and in the middle; trust me with how many parking spots it looks to have they still need more. The architecture varies from sweet prairie homes to vintage shops and the now classic all glass buildings. Also, this street takes lots of pride in their local owned businesses.


When walking around I felt somewhat out of place. Then again it was lunchtime and all the business people in their serious work attire and brief cases were on the move. It made the whole feeling of this street come to life. Things like the Rose Wagner Performing Center and Nobrow coffee shop bring me back to the open minded street this is. But what makes Broadway the best street in town is the Broadway Center Theater, which is part of the Salt Lake Film Society. This theater is the place to see indie movies others wouldn't show. Most recently I saw Nowhere Boy, the tale of John Lennon. This place stand out to me because I'm a film junkie. I love everything about film, on screen and behind the magic. It's good to see a film where the production worked just as hard, even though it wasn't the hype of the season, yet might be the best of the year.


No matter what your interest is you are bound to find something on Broadway, I know I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment