Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Personal Blog 1- Avery Reynolds

When any one person enters a new situation, they come with their image of what to expect. This image is a combination of many things: pictures, stories, other’s images, and imaginary ideas the person combines from their life. I entered Salt Lake City with my pretext of what to expect, and I will be honest in admitting that it had much to do with snow. Only through these first three adventures in City as a Text, I have seen new sides to Salt Lake City and its specialties.

Our first adventure took us to the zoo. Now every town in the Untied States has a zoo, but this one seemed unique. Instead of the huge, business like zoos from the east, I was overcome by feeling of quaint and more animal friendly (or as animal friendly as zoos can be considered). With Chewy on our backs, we wandered around to the stares from children and parents, where parents came up to us, asking to pet the “monkey.” That is one thing special to Salt Lake, everyone is extremely friendly and more welcoming, then in areas where I am from. In Maryland, I expected stares and distance, where you knew people were whispering and judging you.

Another unique part of Salt Lake is the grid system, which I always overlooked. It is so convenient to get around, and really helps define the city. To get a good look of the grid, we walked up into the foothills. Through out my life, I always overlooked the summer recreations to Salt Lake, such as hiking. After learning about the grid, I feel I know Salt Lake better as a hole. Finally, my favorite walk-about so far was Terrance Hills. The windy roads, and large houses really shocked my system. The houses in Salt Lake, for instance the Lower Avenues, are all small bungalows as opposed to where we went. (I already went into detail about this in our group blog).

Every walk-about to this point has presented a new facet to Salt Lake City. At first, the white glittery snow I saw blinded me. Now after exploring the city more, I see the diversity involved in this place, and my respect for it grows more every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment