Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Personal Blog #2 by Devan Bobo

This is Devan Bobo on Nichol's account because I can't get mine to work.

Christmas Market:

For my City as Text group's last walkabout we had the Downtown Alliance website. On it I learned about the Christmas Market that was being held at the Gateway. My roommates and I decided to go see what kind of businesses were there.

When we got there it was kind of late but there were a ton of businesses still there. My personal favorite was a little set up called The Eclectic Edge. This booth was full of jewelry that was made from old spoons and forks. Now I had seen some of this type of jewelry before but never so intricately done as these were. The tines on the fork were carefully curled and bent to make beautiful patterns and each bracelet or ring had stones or other things on them that gave each one a unique look. Not a single piece of jewelry I saw looked the same.

There was also a booth full of handmade books and journals. Each book was designed differently from different materials, including one made from an old Scrabble board! This was a family business and the son had made chain mail bookmarks.

My least favorite booth was one that was selling real fur hats and other clothing. I personally thought they smelled funny and didn't spend too much at that booth.

I'm really glad that my last walkabout helped me to see that Christmas Market was going on beacuse I had a really fun time walking around seeing what cool things were being sold.

1 comment:

  1. What do think is the importance of such mini fairs to a city? I think they bring a very different group of people to the Gateway for example, the families and friends of the artists, gawkers or persons who just like to look rather than buy, and they reduce the scale of everything significantly making it more intimate and knowable, perhaps more friendly and less corporate. I love street fairs because of their grittiness and cheerfulness both, sounds sort of strange, but I love the way they reflect our desire to make something beautiful and to have someone else value it as much as we do.

    ReplyDelete