Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Red Butte Serenity

Exactly one week ago, I took a solitary hike in Red Butte. I have always found being in nature a great comfort and I decided I needed to go for a hike. It was the perfect time to go as it was cool and the colors were just beginning to change. It's been awhile since I have seen colors this
vibrant, so it was like a walk down memory lane. Some of my fondest memories are in the Autumn and it is also my favorite season. Most people hate the cloudy days and the cold, but I am more fond of that than the horrible 100 degree sunny days. I don't hate the sun, I just prefer the clouds. Fall is also the only time of the year when there are colors absolutely everywhere. The leaves on the trees are changing into the most beautiful colors and the sunsets seem to get more vibrant. It is the time of year when you can curl up in a light jacket, but still not be freezing cold. Autumn is just the perfect season.


The hike all the way to the top at Red Butte does not take very long and is well worth the time it takes to get there. The view from up there is absolutely gorgeous. The whole valley can be seen
from up there and there are a few benches up there that one can sit on. If you sit on one of them and just look out, you almost feel like God. When I reached the very top, it started to rain, so the clouds covered most of the valley. Only a few of my pictures came out clear and those were the ones I took from a lower vantage point. The span of the city is incredible and the fact that the Great Salt Lake can be seen from there is amazing. Much of the city is a blur of buildings and streets, but the landmarks and other large buildings are easily distinguished. The basic grid of the streets is also easily recognized.





Unless construction is going on, it is not only beautiful up there, but serene. It is usually pretty quiet and peaceful. It's not nearly as serene as Cuberant, but it is as close as I will get here. Following paths is the only way one will reach the top unless one enjoys being scratched, bruised, and likely killed. The paths are all dirt unless one is actually in the gardens. Up in the hiking area
the trails are all dirt and are extremely easy to follow to one's destination. There are a few places to go at the top. One can either go to the top in a variety of pathways, or go off the mountain, or go to a little place called Stone House.










This little pioneer house is a little ragged, but is an interesting spectacle. This is all just a part of what Red Butte can offer, however, so I suggest that everybody go out and explore Red Butte for themselves. See what you can find!


1 comment:

  1. I think Red Butte canyon is a little treasure that we far too often take advantage of, right there in our backyard. It doesn't take any time at all to feel like you're in a very different world, one inhabit by critters that sometimes pop out of nowheres. One time when I was hiking in Red Butte we saw a beaver, a deer, a moose, all on the same afternoon. I felt like I had received some miraculous gift from the natural world and acknowledged what a unique and special day it was (over and over to my friend). Your images are lovely, the colors so vibrant and rich. I love bumping into ancient buildings like this pioneer water house. Still standing and reminding us of another time.

    ReplyDelete