Sunday, October 3, 2010

People Watching

Personal Blog #1
Morgan Stinson


I love people watching. The past two walkabouts my group has taken, I have most enjoyed observing the variety of people out and about the area we are observing. Whenever I see and individual, I always wonder what their story is. Questions flash through my mind, where are they going? What are they doing there? Where are they from? I find it so amazing that everyone has their own path and mindset, yet we're all living in the same area interacting on some level everyday. In a city like Salt Lake, I have had the privilege to observe many different kinds of people. These experiences have taken me out of my comfort zone on occasion, and have also been very enlightening and interesting. So, I think one of the best ways to get to know a city is to look at the people first, because people are the framework of cities.



1 comment:

  1. This sort of implies, doesn't it, that you're not in a car or moving too fast by an interesting scene, but that you are taking some time with your place, your city or interesting spot. It takes time, space and movement to get a feeling for how individuals inhabit space and make it something of their own. A first glance is one sort of thing, but to end up with deeper understandings you must take time and work with it. My children always give me a hard time about how quickly I jump from what I see to what I imagine is true about another person's life but I think it is fun to imagine stories about the lives of others--piecing together the small fragments of what we do perceive or see first hand to what happened before or after that moment in time. Try it, it can be fun (and habitual!)

    ReplyDelete